45 Simple Ways To Beat The Blues
Written by James Kicinski-McCoy
Photography by Photograph via Bleubird
It happens to the best of us—feeling glum, bouts of insecurity, unexplained anxiousness, or just not feeling like ourselves. Whether it spawns from a new life-change, something tragic, or just comes out of nowhere, the blues can knock you down. The good news is, this feeling is usually short-lived and there are multiple ways you quickly get yourself out of the funk. We’ve gathered some simple mood-boosting ideas below, so you can pull yourself out of the dumps and get back to smiling STAT.
1. Go for a walk, look around, and breathe in the fresh air.
2. Pick out a new recipe you’ve never tried and make it for yourself.
3. Call your busy friends for a good catch-up.
4. Take a hot bath and unwind.
5. Buy yourself flowers.
6. Run errands. Sometimes just getting out the of the house does the trick.
7. Start Sex and the City Season One, Episode One and binge watch.
8. Catch the next available yoga class or hit the gym.
9. Bake a chocolate cake.
10. Take the day off of work.
11. Start that hobby you haven’t had time for.
12. Write down all of the things you’re grateful for.
13. Go buy the damn purse/shoes/whatever you’ve been eyeing.
14. Watch a favorite childhood movie and don’t forget the popcorn.
15. Unplug from social media for a few days.
16. Go for a bike ride.
17. Play with your kids.
18. Silence your phone and take a nap.
19. Cry it out.
20. Go see a movie all by yourself.
21. Write, journal, draw, or paint.
22. Schedule a massage.
24. Have sex!
25. Clean out your closet.
26. Distill some essential oils.
28. Volunteer somewhere.
29. Turn on your favorite Beyoncé song and SING.
30. Walk-in for a mani/pedi.
31. Watch funny cat videos.
32. Rearrange the living room.
33. Send a group text and plan an emergency girl’s night.
34. Meal plan for the week, make a grocery list, and conquer it.
35. Write a letter to a friend or family member.
36. Play solitaire with real cards.
38. Go for a swim.
39. Mow the lawn.
40. Do something nice for someone else.
41. Dust off your guitar, piano, or other instrument.
42. Practice juggling oranges in the kitchen. It’s fun!
43. Mend the knee on your favorite pair of jeans you ripped last year.
44. Practice positivity, stop being critical, and don’t complain for the rest of the day. See what happens!
45. Go to bed and wake-up early. Studies show that early risers are usually happier, healthier, and more productive than night owls.
Share this story