Treat Yourself To A Spa Day At Home
Written by James Kicinski-McCoy
Photography by Photography by James Kicinski-McCoy
Being a mom is a full-time job, and by full-time job we don’t mean a 9-5, Monday-Friday gig. Moms are on-call around the clock. We don’t get days off, paid vacation, or get to call in sick when feeling under the weather. When you become a mama, you’re in for life—which we all happily take on, but with the day-in and day-out of caring for others needs, we often neglect our own. Not anymore, ladies. That right, it’s time to take a night off (and in) and treat yourself to an at-home spa sesh! Hand over the kids to your partner, grandparents, or trusty sitter and get ready to lock yourself in the loo for the next two hours, because you deserve it. Here’s the 4-1-1…
1. First things first (and this should be done before you send your family out the door, or perhaps the day before) make sure your bathroom, and tub, are squeaky clean. This is an important step to being able to relax and enjoy yourself. So, get the dirty work done beforehand.
2. Once the family has left the house, set the mood. Light some good smelling candles. We suggest Malin + Goetz Dark Rum or Diptyque’s Feuille de Lavande. Not only will they fill up your private sanctuary with delightful scents that aren’t over powering, but they’ll also create a relaxing glow to help you unwind. Pour yourself a glass of wine or a calming cup of tea, grab a good read (we suggest #Girlboss) or a stack of your favorite magazines. And if you want to really indulge, snack on some gourmet chocolate while you’re pampering yourself, because…chocolate!
3. Now it’s time to fill up the bath with hot, but not too hot, water. Drop in a buttery bath bomb, like this one from Lush, and slip in for a nice long soak.
4. Apply a hair mask to your tresses while you’re soaking away the tension and stress of the day. Not only will this deep conditioning salve calm your fly-aways, it will also help repair broken and damaged ends.
5. Next, slather a deep scrub all over your skin and exfoliate your body. We like Omorovicza’s Body Buffing Balm because it’s a gentle scrub that gets the job done well, smells amazing, and leaves your skin feeling fresh and moisturized.
6. After you have completed your tub session, towel off and apply a luxe body butter like this intoxicating Lemon-Sage one from Bliss Labs. Once you have given yourself a few extra minutes to let it soak in, slip into a cozy robe and let’s get ready for your facial.
7. Cleanse your face like normal and exfoliate with a gentle facial scrub like this Purifying Facial Exfoliant from Aesop. It will remove all of the dead skin cells that tend to dull down your appearance and bring out your skin’s natural rosy glow.
8. Bring on the steam and open up those pores! Whether you are using a big pot or bowl of steaming water or you’ve invested is a portable steamer like this one, throw a towel over your head and let the the moisture and heat do its job. Stay over the steam for a good 10 minutes and relax and enjoy. You can up your spa-like steam sesh by adding a few drops of essential oil into the mix.
9. Next, paint on a deep cleansing mask. We are huge fans of the oh-so-popular (and affordable) Aztec Clay Mask. This red clay powder is easily mixed with water (or apple cider vinegar) and quickly tightens and brightens.
10. While your mask is doing its thing, apply freshly sliced cucumbers or these nifty cucumber pads over your eyes to help combat puffiness and panda-like circles.
11. After you’ve rinsed and patted your face dry, gently moisturize with a luxury topical oil (we love Rodin Olio Lusso) or a hydrating moisturizer like our beloved Embryolisse.
12. Now that you have treated yourself to an at-home spa experience, it’s time to finish things up with a DIY manicure and pedicure. Exfoliate and moisturize your hands and feet and then give them a fresh coat of color and gloss. We are digging this dark grey color from RGB, or if you are looking for something a little more classic, this oxblood hue from Deborah Lippmann is on our list.
Your at-home spa day is complete! You should be glowing from head to toe and feeling pretty incredible right about now. Feel free to make this a weekly thing. You won’t mind!
Share this story